The traditional résumé is not destined to be a thing of the past any time soon; but there is a new kid in town that is giving candidates a huge boost with their job searches.
As cloud technology grows, online résumés are quickly becoming the next wave to facilitate networking and drive awareness of candidates’ abilities. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then the new social media is providing a forum for a plethora of ways that candidates can distinguish themselves.
The virtual version of a résumé provides hiring managers and recruiters with a three-dimensional view like never before. As more and more companies take advantage of the new technology, job seekers are finding that the interactive résumé is a must have.
At Careers Done Write, we have chosen to use VisualCV.com to prepare virtual résumés for our clients. VisualCV has been ranked #1 by the Wall Street Journal and hiring authorities find their interface to be more user friendly than the competition; as a result, the company is rapidly becoming the industry leader.
As certified professional résumé writers, using VisualCV allows us to give our clients added value and the feedback has been outstanding. While anyone can create a VisualCV on their own, we help customers assemble power packed information in a professional and appealing way.
To re-invent yourself with a multi-media VisualCV, you will want to do the following:
- Provide a professional photo of yourself to personalize your VisualCV. It is easy to get a headshot taken at any photography studio. Wear appropriate attire. Image matters!
- Gather metrics. Quantifiable contributions to your organization can be made into charts and graphs that will provide a great visual representation of your performance.
- Consider posting work samples. If you are an artist this is a no brainer, but if you are a business professional, this may take some extra thought.
- Perhaps you generated a proposal or business plan? Maybe you gave a speech that has been audio recorded and can take excerpts from that. Do you have a marketing plan? That information and many other things can be showcased on your VisualCV.
- What about awards or recognition from your industry or company? These can be displayed on your VisualCV as a demonstration of your exceptional performance.
- You can even make a video if you like. Creating a short YouTube style presentation where you answer a key interview question is a great way to highlight your strengths.
In short, the well-produced VisualCV can help you stand out from the crowd and really serve to personalize your brand as a prospective job candidate. All VisualCVs may either be kept private or shared over the internet via Google and other search engines.
As the trend grows, career experts are witnessing the positive results that a virtual presence can bring to a job search. For additional information about having your own professionally generated VisualCV, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Debra Wheatman, CPRW, CPCC is President of Careers Done Write, a premier career services provider focused on developing highly personalized career roadmaps for senior leaders and executives across all verticals and industries.